Comprehensively breaking a logitech webcam trying to remove the IR filter before doing what should have been done in the first place.
After looking at a guide online for how to IR modify the Logitech C270 webcam I thought all it would take was a little heat to melt the glue. As it turns out n my newer model of the device the filter is fused to the sensor meaning my attempt to remove the glass brought the entire sensor with it.
Xbox vision cameras are known for being easy to remove the IR filter from. They are popular with astral imaging enthusiasts for attaching to telescopes. The small IR cut filter is in the lens in front of the sensor and can simply by pried out.
The only other modification I think will be necessary is to do something about the 4 green LEDs that illuminate the ring around the lens when the camera is in use.
Simply googling “IR modify [insert webcam model here]” was how I found the appropriate steps for these mods.
Actually I woke up having only just been dreaming about something I know not what and the only part of that dream still in my mind was a concept of mice wandering over a computer keyboard and everything they typed being turned into the word “harvest”. Weird, I know.
So I stuck this down on a post it note as it seemed like an interesting coding exercise.
I also like to put as much work down on a whiteboard as possible before starting to code. I’ve sketched out the html elements and made a to-do list of sorts. Originally I thought I’d be using an <input> element however I ended up using a <textarea>.
Information about keyboard presses as DOM events was also found here.
The entire project can be accessed here: on github
And used here thanks to GitHub pages, which is a recent and amazing discovery: Rich Harvest. NOTE: there is no support for mobile yet, I’ve branched the project with that addition in mind.
The only problem I ran into was with editing the content (or .value) of the <textarea> as a static variable instead of as live DOM element.
Pretty fun one-page web project, 10/10, would harvest again.
Spotify’s promotional and social media material, especially their in-feed adverts for 3 months premium membership for £9.99, has a look that involves shapes and “bold” colours. Not huge colours but eye catching at least.
It was the squiggly line especially that got me wondering how I would make them in illustrator…? So I used adobe illustrator and threw shapes at an artboard till it looked good, and while I was doing that I looked at the colours I was pulling from adobes color website and thinking what i would look like if the hue was animated in after effects as I’ve tried this during other projects in the past.
So I pulled the finished image into Photoshop and added a hue/saturation adjustment layer.
While the image was in Photoshop I tried making it black and white as I was curious what it might look like with a single colour overlay. Then after trying a gradient map adjustment layer it seems as thought the base image could be adapted to suit any theme on a site or for a brand for example.
I intend to experiment more with this style in the future and would like to find out if I can increase the aesthetic quality by adjusting the positioning of the shapes or what shapes are used etc… There really are a million options for this style.
While creating some animated line drawings I wanted to make them slightly more visually interesting than simply adding easing.
Posterize time is an effect which essentially reduces the amount of frames outputted. It gives a great look to motion graphics and works especially well when the animation keyframes have a decent amount of easing applied.
The appearance of motion blur is also reduced by this effect so you might want to experiment.
The original line drawing was created in illustrator and then imported into Ae there’s plenty of guides for how to do this online.
I had recently seen an offset shadow on text that had a transparent gap between the text and its shadow. I decided to attempt his effect by adding a stroke to the the text and then subtracting that stroke from the shadow. (I also added a small blur on the shadow layer as the edges of the selection weren’t anti-aliased and adding a blur was easier than going back in my history).
I added a grunge texture to the background and overlayed it and finished by adding a hue and saturation adjustment to the background and shifting it to quickly experiment with different colours. just for kicks I inverted the whole thing and tried a few that way.
Here I took an image I captured while in Glenveagh National Park in Co. Donegal, Ireland; and tried to apply some branding techniques I had seen online. wearetribe.co use this look a lot especially in their email marketing material.
Illustrator makes it easy to skew text, whereas Photoshop presents no easy way to achieve the same result without rasterising the text and losing quality.
The look is simply achieved my placing a solid colour layer over the (black and white) photo layer and setting its opacity to around 50-60%.
More experimentation is needed in this style I think. The flow and appearance of the text could possibly be made to work better with the background image as well as the pattern.
More full resolution photos from Glenveagh can be found on my flickr
(Incidentally this is also the same image I’ve used for the site header)